The Office for Equal Opportunity seeks to integrate principles of equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, fairness and equality into all academic and employment activities and practices throughout Washington State University (WSU). To meet that objective, our department:
(1) enhances the human rights education of all WSU students, faculty, and staff, by developing innovative and interdisciplinary programs, trainings, and activities;
(2) seeks to ensure all WSU employment and recruitment practices comply with state and federal equal employment opportunity and affirmative action mandates;
(3) assesses, develops and implements WSU’s affirmative action plan in compliance with state and federal regulations;
(4) reviews and investigates all complaints of discrimination, discriminatory harassment, sexual harassment, and sexual misconduct and advises faculty, staff, and students on appropriate management of such issues; and
(5) aims to enhance WSU’s academic and organizational effectiveness through proactive assessment of workplace and classroom climate issues, development and implementation of action plans, and climate monitoring.
We work closely with professionals in the field of law, human resources, and conflict resolution to address individual and university concerns, and act as an information resource for state and federal agencies.